ABC- Always Be Careful
KPA Student Accommodation has dedicated this week of 23 to 27 April 2018 to creating awareness for the safety of students in and around Bloemfontein!
Your safety is really important to us, but you also have a part to play in making your house and environment a safe place to learn and have fun.
- Be aware of your surroundings when walking on campus. If you’re out on your own, you should never put yourself in a compromising position by being inebriated or distracted on your phone (or both!). Victims of attack often look confused, lost, distracted, or in need of help.
- Avoid walking alone, particularly at night. Moving as a pack of friends can give you more power because it is harder to attack a large group of people than an individual.
- Let people know where you’re going. If you’re going out, let someone know where you are going and when you intend on coming back. You and your roommates can be helpful resources to each other in this way; share your class schedules with them and make a habit of letting each other know if you’ll be gone for the night. If you’re good friends, all the better—you’ll have a common place to come home to if you all go out together, and you’ll never find yourself walking home alone.
- Get to know your roommates and neighbors. This is an especially important tip if you live on your own for the first time. One of the best things you can do is to simply be friendly with your roommates and neighbors. It will give you a sense of community and a safety net, as you’ll have a larger group of people who will care about your well-being and watch out for you.
Don’t assume that something has already been reported or that someone else will handle it, he says. Whether it’s something as little as a door that will not secure properly to a roommate that is talking about harming themselves, reporting these types of situations enables the police and other campus officials to address the issue and help before it’s too late.
Resources and services
- Police Station
051 507 6036
- KPA Student Accommodation- After hours number
- SA-SOS Safety response Cellphone App-
Use the KPA Shuttle service to and from campus.
ALWAYS BE VIGILANT, AND AWARE OF YOUR SURROUNDINGS!
Students and Staff, safety is not KPA Student Accommodations business, but everyone’s business!